Saturday, June 13, 2009

Grilled Short Ribs Agentine Style

I love braised short ribs but I also love beef galbi (the sweet/salty grilled Korean style ribs). My intent was to make beef galbi when I bought my ribs home from the butcher but somehow the cooking muse took over and I ended up with this impromptu recipe with South American flair. The first step to this recipe is preparing the ribs for grilling. As you can see by the photo the ribs come with a section of bone with a relatively thick slab of meat along the top. While this is great for long slow braising it does not bode well for the grill. First step is to butterfly the ribs so they lay flat and are relatively thin for quick searing. It should look something like this:
Now to get some flavor into the meat. The meat itself has a nice meaty flavor and is a bit chewy but I like the slight bounce you get when you bite into the charred crispy goodness of beef short ribs.
I worked with a simple marinade of red wine vinegar, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic and one roughly chopped jalapeno. Marinate for 3 hours or overnight if you have the time.
Now for the Argentine part......Chimichurri sauce! One of my all time favorite meat condiments.

Mix the following together (by hand a blender or processor will not give you the right consistency.

1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Water
1 Serrano Chili thinly sliced seeds intact
1 small bunch flat leaf-parsley; chopped (should equal about 1/2 cup)
1 medium onion; finely chopped
4 cloves garlic; finely minced
1/2 of a red bell pepper; seeded and finely diced
1 tomato; peeled, seeded, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon dried oregano (I like Mexican Oregano)
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon coarse salt
1 Teaspoon ground black pepper

In the end it looks like this:


Once the ribs are done marinating wipe off the marinade and bring to room temperature (30 minutes ought to do it). Preheat your grill to around 400 F. If gas grill lower flames to medium setting. If wood grill make sure there are no direct flames under the meat. Place ribs on grill and grill 3 to 4 minutes per side. The is not really a dish served rare but it should not be too well done.






I served my ribs with tiny new potatoes cooked in a little duck fat and salt and a simple cucumber, radish and arugula salad with a bit of the chimichurri sauce as dressing.


No comments: